Safeguarding Student Data in the Classroom and Beyond
EDmin fully supports the goal of providing teachers and parents the confidence they need to enhance teaching and learning with the best technology, by ensuring that data collected in the educational context is used only for educational purposes.
EDmin is proud to be a signatory of the student data privacy pledge introduced in 2014 by the Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) and The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) and signed by over 300 industry leaders.
The pledge holds school service providers accountable to:
- Not sell student information.
- Not behaviorally target advertising.
- Use data for authorized education purposes only.
- Not change privacy policies without notice and choice.
- Enforce strict limits on data retention.
- Support parental access to, and correction of errors in, their children’s information.
- Provide comprehensive security standards.
- Be transparent about collection and use of data.
The pledge is shown in full below:
K-12 School Service Provider Pledge to Safeguard Student Privacy
K-12 school service providers are honored to be entrusted by educators and families to support their educational needs and school operations. School service providers take responsibility to both support the effective use of student information and safeguard student privacy and information security.
School service providers support schools – including their teachers, students, and parents – to manage student data, carry out school operations, support instruction and learning opportunities, and develop and improve products/services intended for educational/school use. In so doing, it is critical that schools and school service providers build trust by effectively protecting the privacy of student information and communicating with parents about how student information is used and safeguarded.
We pledge to carry out responsible stewardship and appropriate use of student personal information according to the commitments below and in adherence to all laws applicable to us as school service providers.
We Commit to:
- Some school service providers may be subject to additional legal obligations, contractual commitments, or requests from educational institutions or parents/students that direct or otherwise authorize additional uses of student data, other than those specified above.
- Nothing in this pledge is intended to prohibit the use of student personal information for purposes of adaptive learning or customized education.
- This pledge is intended to be applicable to new contracts and policies going forward and addressed — where inconsistent and as agreed to by the educational institution or agency — in existing contracts as updated over time.
- This pledge shall be effective as of January 1, 2017.
- 'School service provider' refers to any entity that: (1) is providing, and is operating in its capacity as a provider of, an online or mobile application, online service or website that is both designed and marketed for use in United States elementary and secondary educational institutions/ agencies and is used at the direction of their teachers or other employees; and (2) collects, maintains or uses student personal information in digital/electronic format. The term 'school service provider' does not include an entity that is providing, and that is operating in its capacity as a provider of, general audience software, applications, services or websites not designed and marketed for schools.
- 'Educational/School purposes' are services or functions that customarily take place at the direction of the educational institution/agency or their teacher/employee, for which the institutions or agency would otherwise use its own employees, and that aid in the administration or improvement of educational and school activities (e.g., instruction, administration, and development and improvement of products/services intended for educational/school use).
- 'Student personal information' is personally identifiable information as well as other information when it is both collected and maintained on an individual level and is linked to personally identifiable information.
- 'Student' applies to students of United States elementary and secondary schools, and with regard to notice and consent applies only to students of appropriate age as authorized under relevant United States federal law.
- 'Consumer privacy policies' include those privacy policies that are posted by the company to be available to all users to the site or service
- 'Parent' includes a student’s legal guardian.
Revised and Effective: January 1, 2017.